This easy recipe for Rhubarb Scones is filled with fresh, tart rhubarb and a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg!
As soon as rhubarb makes an appearance in our yard, I get excited for the prospect of all the fresh produce that we’ll finally be able to have after a long winter (that and it usually means that spring is here to stay!)!
And while I impatiently wait for the time when the rest of our gardens produce, I make the most of the rhubarb!
Rhubarb seems to be one of those foods that people either love or hate. Fortunately for me, my family likes rhubarb. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a pie, compote, or muffins, rhubarb is a favorite around here.
The latest rhubarb recipe to make an appearance in our kitchen was a batch of these easy Rhubarb Scones.
All you need is a handful of simple ingredients to get a batch of tender, flaky scones filled with fresh, tart rhubarb!
I adjusted the base of one of my favorite scone recipes and used brown sugar in place of some of the white sugar to get some of that caramel flavor and to give the scones a little softer texture.
A hint of cinnamon and nutmeg is added to the base to round out the flavors.
Topping off these scones is a sprinkling of coarse sugar right before baking to give a bit of crunch in each bite!
Tips for Making Rhubarb Scones
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Don’t worry if it isn’t all wet. The dough will come together when you knead it.
- Knead the dough only as much as is necessary to get dough to come together. It’s okay if the circle looks shaggy. This will keep the scones from getting tough.
- I like to use a dough scraper for cutting the scones and transferring them to the baking sheet. It makes it easy to both get even pieces and to keep the pieces together when moving them!
Love scones? More Scone Recipes to Try!
- Coconut Cream Scones
- Maple Oat Scones
- Mini Dark Chocolate S’mores Scones
- Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- Classic Cream Scones — The Flavor Bender
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.