These Caramel S’mores Seven Layer Bars have all the flavor of a gooey s’more complete with pockets of chewy caramel!
Summer may be winding down, but that doesn’t mean that the consumption of all things s’mores related needs to wind down, too!
I personally can go for the s’mores combination any time of year, and, apparently, you guys can, too. The original s’mores seven layer bars from three years ago have been in the top ten most visited recipes all year long every since they were posted!
I love the suggestions that you guys give of what you have added to the bars or taken out to make them to you and your family’s likings.
One reader had mentioned using dulce de leche instead of sweetened condensed milk, and that got me thinking about a simple caramel s’mores seven layer bars recipe!
At first we tried making the bars by just throwing in some caramel bits, but that ended up being way too sweet. So, we cut the amount of chocolate in half. They were still a bit too sweet for my liking.
Bittersweet chocolate fixed that problem! The dark chocolate was rich enough to cut down on the sweetness while giving a strong chocolate flavor.
That, tied in with the broken Hershey’s milk chocolate bars, gives plenty of flavor to go with the toasted marshmallows and crunchy graham crackers for the classic s’mores flavor.
Tips for making Caramel S’mores Seven Layer Bars
- Do not use old/soggy graham crackers. The crust will not set up, and you’ll end up with soggy bars.
- When you open your can of sweetened condensed milk, give it a stir. Sweetened condensed milk can settle and you’ll end up with a thick layer on the bottom of the can. Also, I have noticed that some brands of sweetened condensed milk are thinner than others and don’t set up as well for these bars. One of those brands is the Aldi brand. The bars will still work, but they will be a bit stickier than if you use a name brand.
- Let the bars set for at least 15 minutes before cutting. The smell will make it really hard to wait, but you will have a gooey, sticky mess if you don’t wait.
- You can use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Just know that the bars will be a lot sweeter. We’ve found that we prefer the semi-sweet or bittersweet for these seven layer bars.
More S’mores Seven Layer Bars Recipes!
- 2 1/2 Cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 Cup butter, melted
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Cup mini marshmallows
- 1 Cup caramel bits
- 1/2 C bittersweet/dark chocolate chocolate chips
- 1 Cup broken graham cracker pieces
- 2 (1.55 oz) chocolate bars, broken into pieces
- 2 additional tablespoons caramel bits, optional
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread sweetened condensed milk over the top.
Sprinkle half of marshmallows, all of the caramel bits, chocolate chips, and graham crackers over the top.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining marshmallows. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until marshmallows are browned and edges are golden.
Remove from oven to a cooling rack and place chocolate pieces and additional caramel bits on top. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving. Bars will still be gooey but will hold together. For best results, allow to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g