These S’mores Scones are stuffed with all the ingredients of a gooey s’more! A classic scone base is filled with chocolate chips, crushed graham crackers, and mini marshmallows. A marshmallow glaze and a chocolate drizzle top off these scones as a finishing touch!
If you’re looking for a sweet, over-the-top scone to pair with your morning cup of coffee, these S’mores Scones are just what you are looking for!
These s’mores scones taste just like a gooey s’mores (especially if you snitch one while they’re still warm!).
Mini marshmallows are stirred into the dough so they can melt into the scone and leave little gooey pockets of sweetness. The marshmallows on the top and sides toast just like a s’more!
Dark chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs and chunks are also mixed in to finish off the authentic flavor.
To make the scones even more irresistible, a sweet marshmallow glaze and more dark chocolate are drizzled over the top!
How to Make S’mores Scones
Start by lining your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Don’t skip this step as the melted marshmallows will cause the scones to stick to the baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add in milk, egg, and vanilla extract. The higher the fat content of the milk you use, the richer the flavor of the scones will be.
Mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, coarse graham cracker pieces, and mini marshmallows. Just until a dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 6 times until dough starts to come together.
Shape and pat dough into an 8 inch circle. Cut the dough circle into 8 pieces.
Place pieces onto prepared baking sheet leaving a few inches between each piece.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until just starting to turn light golden brown. Remove baking sheet from the oven to a wire rack to cool.
While the scones are cooling, prepare the toppings.
Whisk together confectioner’s sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
In a small saucepan, melt butter and water together over medium-low heat.
Add mini marshmallows, and stir until melted. Add the melted marshmallow mixture to the confectioner’s sugar, and whisk until smooth. Immediately drizzle over scones.
Melt dark chocolate according to package instructions. Drizzle over the scones.
Allow the toppings to cool and harden before serving.
Store any leftover scones in an airtight container. These scones are freshest in 1-2 days.
Tips for Making S’mores Scones
- Use whatever chocolate you like best for the filling and topping. We like the richness of dark chocolate the best, but semi-sweet or milk chocolate will work just as well.
- Do not skip lining your baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat as the melted marshmallows will cause the scones to stick to the pan.
- Knead the dough only as much as is necessary to get dough to come together. It’s okay if the circle looks shaggy. This will keep the scones from getting tough.
- If you chose to top the scones with the glazes and graham cracker crumbs, these scones are best eaten same day as the marshmallow glaze will become sticky if your house is warm.
Love s’mores? More S’mores Recipes to try!
For the Scones
- 1 Cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 sheets graham crackers coarsely crushed
- 1/2 Cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup mini marshmallows or marshmallow bits
For the Glazes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 Cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 Cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup dark chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. Stir in crushed graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 6 times until dough just comes together. Shape dough into an eight inch circle. Cut into 8 pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until just starting to turn light golden brown. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool.
- While scones are cooling, whisk together confectioner's sugar and salt. Melt butter and water together over medium low heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until melted. Add to sugar mixture and whisk until combined and smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones.
- Melt dark chocolate according to package instructions. Drizzle over scones. Allow to cool and harden before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.