This Caprese Tortellini Salad is a hearty, easy salad that is filled with juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fresh basil! Serve it as a main dish or pair it with your favorite grilled meat!
As soon as the weather starts to warm up, we start looking for quick, easy meals that are filling but don’t require the oven or a lot of time over the stove. We’d also prefer if they were filling without being heavy.
Enter this Caprese Tortellini Salad! No need for the oven, only a short amount of time on the stove top, and hearty while being filled with fresh flavors!
It starts with your favorite package of cheese tortellini. It can be refrigerated or frozen. We like to keep a package in the freezer to have on hand for last minute meals.
Add to that some fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and red onion and the bulk of the salad is complete.
If you grow grape or cherry tomatoes in your garden, this recipe is a great place to let their flavor shine!
It’s all tossed with a simple dressing and ready to eat.
Serve it as a main dish or pair it with your favorite grilled meat for an easy summer meal!
How to Make Caprese Tortellini Salad
This is a simple, easy salad that requires only a few easy steps.
Start with cooking the tortellini according to package instructions. The time will vary based on the brand and the amount in the package. This recipe works well for a 16 to 20 ounce package.
Place the cooked tortellini in a large bowl, and toss with a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. This will keep the pasta from sticking to itself.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and pepper until well-combined.
Pour over cooked tortellini, and toss to coat evenly. Stir in tomatoes. mozzarella balls, basil, and red onion until combined.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. We have found that we like the salad best after it has completely cooled to allow the flavors to blend.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Tips for Making Caprese Tortellini Salad
- Any small tomato will work for this salad.
- Feel free to add in shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well!) to up the protein content and make the salad heartier.
- Spinach tortellini pairs well with the caprese flavors if that is what you have on hand.
- This recipe easily halves to allow you to use a 10 ounce package of tortellini.
For the Salad
- 1 (16-20 ounces) package cheese tortellini, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces mini fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/4 Cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 Cup chopped red onion
For the Dressing
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place tortellini in a large bowl, and toss with olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking while you prepare the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Pour over tortellini and toss to coat.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, basil, and red onion until combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
We enjoyed this salad best after it had refrigerated a couple of hours and the flavors had a chance to blend.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. Nutrition values can vary greatly based on brand used. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.
Love pasta salads? More pasta salad recipes to try!