These easy, tender Lemon Blueberry Scones are filled with bright, citrusy lemon and fresh, sweet blueberries all topped off with a simple lemon glaze! This quick scone recipe is sure to brighten any morning!
Need an easy way to make your morning a little extra-special? How about a batch of tender, flaky scones?
They are one of our favorite go-to’s when we want something different, but don’t have time (or want to spend the time) to make a more complex recipe.
We especially like using seasonal fruits, like in these Lemon Blueberry Scones.
A simple scone base is packed with lots of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and sweet blueberries to give them a that classic blueberry lemon combination that is so bright and cheery.
Topping them off is an easy lemon confectioner’s sugar glaze with even more fresh lemon zest.
And one of the best parts is that these scones?! They require just a short amount of prep time and a handful of simple ingredients before you’ll be biting into a warm, breakfast treat!
A perfect pairing to your favorite coffee or tea!
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Scones
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. You won’t want to skip this step as the blueberries can burst when baking and make the scones stick to the baking sheet. Set it aside for later.
In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and fresh lemon zest.
Cut in the butter (Make sure that it is cold!) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk (The higher the fat content, the better the texture and flavor.), fresh lemon juice, egg, and vanilla extract until the egg is completely combined.
Add the wet ingredients to your dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
Gently stir in the fresh blueberries just until the dough starts to form. (Make sure that they are dried after rinsing them! The extra liquid can cause the scones to spread too much when baking.)
Mixture may appear dry and crumbly, but should hold together when pressed.
Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface.
Gently knead 5 to 6 times until the dough comes together.
Pat the dough into an approximate 8 inch circle. It’s okay if the circle is a bit shaggy. The important part is to not overwork the dough (or squish all of the blueberries!).
If you want to keep your hands from getting dough on them when patting it into a circle, place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the dough and shape the dough while it is covered.
Cut circle into 8 equal pieces, and place the pieces on your prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.
While the scones are cooling, prepare the glaze.
Stir together confectioner’s sugar, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon milk until smooth. Add additional lemon juice and milk until desired consistency is reached.
Dip tops of scones into glaze or spoon glaze over the top. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
Allow glaze to harden and serve. Best eaten same day.
Because of the fresh blueberries in these scones, they will stay freshest if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Remove from refrigerator, and allow the scones to come to room temperature before enjoying.
Tips for Making Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Don’t worry if the dough isn’t all wet. The dough will come together when you knead it.
- Knead the dough just as much as necessary to get dough to come together. It’s okay if the circle looks shaggy. This will keep the scones from getting tough.
- If you want to keep your hands clean, place a piece of parchment paper on top of the dough when forming it into a circle.
- I like to use a dough scraper for cutting the scones and transferring them to the baking sheet. It makes it easy to both get even pieces and to keep the pieces together when moving them!
- If you can’t get your hands on lemons, you can use the concentrated lemon juice that comes in the green bottles. You won’t get the zing from the lemon zest, but you’ll still get good lemon flavor.
Love scones? More easy scone recipes to try!
For the Scones
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
For the Glaze
- 1 Cup confectioner's sugar
- 2-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 teaspoons milk
- lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, fresh lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, fresh lemon juice, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Gently knead 5-6 times or until dough comes together.
- Pat into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 8 pieces, and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- While scones are cooling, prepare glaze. Stir together confectioner's sugar, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons milk until smooth. Add additional lemon juice and milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Dip tops of scones into glaze or spoon glaze over the top. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Allow glaze to harden and serve. Best eaten same day.
- Because of the fresh blueberries in these scones, they will stay freshest if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator, and allow the scones to come to room temperature before enjoying.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. Nutrition values can vary greatly based on brand used. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.