This Pumpkin French Toast Bake is filled with pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spices, and is topped with a crunchy, buttery streusel! Make it same day or make it the night before for a special breakfast the next morning!
Once late fall hits, I find myself turning from cold cereal and smoothies for breakfast to wanting something warm and hearty. However, I still want the convenience of how quick a bowl of cereal or a smoothie is to grab.
Our solution is french toast bake. It’s an easy breakfast casserole that can be made the day before, so it’s all ready to go in the morning. Plus, cutting pieces for leftovers to reheat in the microwave for the next few days is super fast and convenient!
Our latest flavor to try? This Pumpkin French Toast Bake!
A whole cup of pumpkin and some pumpkin spices combine to create a french toast bake bursting with fall flavor. The layer of cinnamon streusel gives it a sweet, crunchy top.
I strongly suggest that you make the streusel into large pieces so you can bite into the big, buttery chunks of streusel once baked!
Since you can make it the night before and bake it the next morning, this french toast bake allows you to enjoy what might usually be a weekend breakfast for a weekday breakfast.
Or at least that’s the way it is around here. We hardly ever have the time to prepare and bake something for breakfast during the week!
Eat it plain or serve it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and your favorite syrup.
Either way, your family will enjoy this fall twist to french toast bake!
Tips for Making Pumpkin French Toast Bake
- If you are using bread that is on the drier side, consider covering the french toast bake after you have prepared it and stick it in the fridge for 30-40 minutes before baking. This will give the bread time to soak up the egg mixture.
- Bake the french toast bake until the center is puffed (Don’t worry, it deflates as it cools.) and the edges are just starting to brown. This will keep the french toast from being soggy.
- Don’t want to make it right away? Once everything is in the pan, cover the mixture with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. If the french toast bake has been in the refrigerator overnight, you may find that it takes a few extra minutes of bake time before it is done.
- If you like pecans, sprinkle on some chopped pecans right before baking for an added crunch!
More French Toast Bake Recipes!
- Raspberry Lemon Cream French Toast Bake
- Apple Streusel French Toast Bake
- Eggnog Gingerbread French Toast Bake
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake — The Cookie Rookie
For the French Toast
- 6 1/2 Cups day old French bread, cubed
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
For the Streusel Topping
- 5 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, syrup, milk, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Whisk until combined.
- Pour over bread. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared baking dish. Gently press with spatula. Sprinkle streusel topping over the top.
- If baking the next day, cover and place in refrigerator. If baking immediately, bake for 40-50 minutes or until topping browns and center is puffed. (Center will deflate as it cools.)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and your favorite syrup.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
If you like pecans, top with chopped pecans right before baking for an added crunch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 piece of french toast bakeNutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.