This Classic Pumpkin Bread is filled with an entire can of pumpkin and lots of pumpkin pie spices! Instead of oil, yogurt and pumpkin are used and give this bread a lighter texture while keeping it tender! A perfect fall snack, breakfast, or dessert!
Sometimes simple, classic recipes are best. I noticed that we have yet to share a classic pumpkin bread recipe on the blog. I was excited to open my first can of pumpkin of the season and wanted to make a plain loaf of pumpkin bread. But when I went to search for it, I realized it hadn’t made it to the blog.
We have a maple pumpkin bread and a pumpkin bread with a salted caramel drizzled pumpkin buttercream (so good!), lots of pumpkin muffins, but no plain pumpkin bread. So this is a classic recipe. No nuts, seeds, streusel, or frosting. Just pumpkin (a whole can!) and pumpkin pie spices.
This isn’t your typical heavy, somewhat oily bread that you get from a coffee shop. Can you tell what I don’t like about that kind of pumpkin bread? In fact, there isn’t any oil in this bread. Just yogurt and lots of pumpkin. The result is a bread that is lighter in texture while still being tender and moist.
The flour is a combination of all-purpose and white whole wheat. I’ve made it with all white whole wheat flour a couple of times and feel like the texture is different enough that it’s better with a blend. But if you want all white whole wheat, go for it!
The result is a light, tender bread that is easy to make and is the perfect solution to when you just want a slice of good pumpkin bread without all the extras!
Since it’s on the healthier side, I highly recommend having a slice or two for breakfast! Especially for the weekend with your morning cup of coffee!
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- ¾ C white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ C brown sugar
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ C plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together eggs and sugars until creamy. Add in yogurt and vanilla extract and beat until well-combined. Beat in pumpkin puree until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.