This healthier Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread recipe is an easy and delicious way to use up those overripe bananas sitting on your counter!
A little over a week ago I had a few bananas that were sitting on my counter looking pretty sad. We just kept walking by them without giving them much thought until one day something had to be done with them!
It had been awhile since we had made banana bread, since I’d used the last few times we had ripe bananas sitting around I had made banana bread scones with them. It was about time to make another loaf of banana bread.
Plus, we had just gotten dumped on with around 20 inches of snow, so I was in the mood for baking and comfort food! Banana bread it was!
The base of this banana bread is one that I’ve been using since junior high. It’s handwritten on a piece of notebook paper. I have no idea where it originally came from, but it has morphed over the years into a healthier version that uses white whole wheat flour, yogurt or applesauce, and honey.
The healthy alternatives haven’t made this bread any less delicious. In fact, I think we prefer the lightened up changes, especially the lack of all of that vegetable oil that a lot of banana breads contain!
At the last minute, however, I couldn’t resist adding a swirl of cinnamon sugar. Cinnamon and banana pair so well together, so why not add a swirl of it?
Other than that, it’s simply an easy loaf of classic banana bread that is perfect for grabbing a slice to pair with your morning coffee or for when your afternoon needs a bit of a pick-me-up!
- For the Bread
- 2 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ C brown sugar
- ¼ C honey
- 1½ C mashed bananas
- ½ C plain Greek or regular yogurt
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil (or olive/canola oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Cinnamon Swirl
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, mashed bananas, yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon for cinnamon swirl. Spread 1/2 to 2/3 of batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the top. Top with remaining batter. Swirl knife through batter, optional. Smooth top with spatula after swirling.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check bread at 35 minutes. If top is browning too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil and return to oven for remainder of baking time.
- Remove to a baking rack to cool.