This Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins recipe dirties only one bowl and is made with white whole wheat flour and yogurt, but you’d never guess that from its tender, moist texture and rich flavor! Put all that zucchini to good use, and make these simple muffins!
It’s that time of year where we start to find ourselves with more zucchini than we know what to do with. If you’re like us, you can only grill it up or make zoodles out of it so many times before you start looking for other ways to use it up.
I usually turn to baking. And those baked good tend to be loaded with chocolate.
However, my husband isn’t such a huge fan of chocolate and was looking for something that wasn’t quite as overloaded with chocolate as our typical recipes!
Based off of our Bakery Style Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins, we made a few adjustments and ended up with these Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins!
These muffins are filled with chocolate in each bite (but not too much!), a hint of vanilla, and capped off with that classic domed top covered with a sprinkling of more mini chocolate chips!
A happy compromise for those who want some chocolate but not too much. That’s why we went for mini chocolate chips. Just the right amount of chocolate in each bite.
However, feel free to use regular chocolate chips if that is all you have on hand!
Two whole cups of shredded zucchini (that you can’t taste, promise!) and yogurt keep these muffins moist and tender for several days (though they may not last that long!).
And since we only want to dirty a minimal amount of dishes, these simple muffins only dirty one bowl!
Perfect for a quick breakfast, a sweet snack, or even a lighter dessert!
How to Make One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Don’t skip this step as the muffins will stick!
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until there are no brown sugar clumps remaining.
Add in the yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, eggs, and oil until eggs are completely mixed in. You can use melted and cooled butter or canola oil if you don’t have coconut oil.
Gently stir in the shredded zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
Divide the muffin batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out with just a few crumbs. The toothpick test is the easiest way to tell if the muffins are done baking.
Remove the muffin tin to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully remove muffins from tin, and allow to cool completely before storing any leftovers in an airtight container.
Tips for Making Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- You can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips if you don’t have mini chocolate chips on hand.
- Don’t have yogurt? Sour cream will work in place of the yogurt. Full fat or low fat works better than fat-free.
- I’ve listed using either white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour for these muffins. You can use whole wheat flour, but you will notice a change in texture and flavor.
- Like the cinnamon chocolate combination? Try stirring 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon into the batter.
- The easiest way to tell that the muffins are done is if a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out with just a few crumbs.
Love baking with zucchini? More zucchini recipes to try!
- Zucchini Carrot Cake Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Cinnamon Streusel Zucchini Banana Bread
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup full-fat or low-fat yogurt, (melted and cooled butter or canola oil would also work)
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 Cup melted and cooled coconut oil, measured in its melted state
- 2 Cups shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup mini chocolate chips + additional mini chocolate chips for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until no clumps of brown sugar remain.
- Add in yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, eggs, and coconut oil. Stir until egg is thoroughly combined.
- Gently stir in shredded zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 303mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. Nutrition values can vary greatly based on brand used. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.