My berry hoarding from a couple weeks ago is still going strong! We were just at Costco a couple days ago, and I picked up another big container of strawberries.
They are just too good to pass up!
We’ve really been enjoying eating them in breakfasts like the blueberry banana bread baked oatmeal from last week, but sometimes you just need a dessert.
And, since it’s summer, you can’t go wrong with a fruit filled crumb bar! So, strawberry blueberry crumb bars have been our new quick and easy summer dessert.
If you’ve never made crumb bars before, you really should give them a try. They are super easy to make. You basically use the same mixture for both the crust and the topping.
I just added a little coarse sugar on top to give it a bit of a crunch.
And the filling? No boiling the fruit. Just stir all the filling ingredients together, and spread it over the top.
To bring out the flavor of the fresh berries a bit more, I threw in fresh lemon zest into the crust and tossed the berries with fresh lemon juice. The tartness of the lemon balances perfectly with the sweetness of the berries.
Top with the remaining crust mixture, sprinkle with sugar, and bake. Eat them warm, eat them cold. It’s good both ways.
Though if you have some vanilla ice cream on hand, I highly recommend eating at least one of the bars warm with a scoop of ice cream!
For the Base and Crumble Layers
- 1 1/2 Cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
For the Fruit Filling
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 Cups fresh strawberries, washed and chopped
- 1 Cup fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- coarse sugar, optional
- additional lemon zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Stir into dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press about 2/3 of mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice. Add in strawberries and blueberries. Stir until berries are coated. Spread berry filling over the top of crust.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with additional lemon zest and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.