These super easy Strawberries and Cream Danishes get a little help from pre-made puff pastry and are filled with a sweet cream cheese layer and a homemade strawberry filling! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert!
It’s National Strawberries and Cream Day! Since strawberries are all over the place, and we can’t get enough of them lately, we can’t let this day pass by. Of course, I’m celebrating with breakfast food!
Strawberries and cream danishes. This is actually the first recipe on the blog for danishes. Since it’s a breakfast food, it’s kind of surprising that it’s taken so long to share a recipe with you!
With a little help from some pre-made puff pastry, these danishes are super easy to make. I do take the time to make a homemade strawberry filling because I like the flavor, but if you’re in a pinch, you could always use your favorite store bought strawberry filling.
The other plus to making your own strawberry filling is your house will smell great all day!
The assembly might seem to be a little tricky at first, but, basically, all you’re doing is taking strips of puff pastry and twisting them. You are then taking each twisted strip and coiling it into a spiral.
The technique is much the same as with these strawberry filled cinnamon twists. There’s a picture on that post that will give you an idea of what it’s supposed to look like.
You’ll want to make sure that you press the center down and score the edge of the center with a knife. This will help the pastry to puff around the center without the center rising, too! You don’t want your filling everywhere!
Then just fill the centers with your cream cheese and strawberry fillings, brush the edges with an egg wash and bake!
The result is a golden, flaky pastry that you’ll want to enjoy any time of day! The creaminess of the cream cheese layer combined with the slight crunch of the flaky pastry is perfect.
And topping all of that with a sweet strawberry filling just makes them irresistible!
- 2 C chopped strawberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer for 25-35 minutes or until strawberries soften and mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place sheets of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut 6 strips lengthwise per sheet. Take each strip and gently twist. Take each twist and coil it into a spiral. Tuck the end piece under the spiral. Press down the center of the pastry leaving about ¼ inch all around on the sides. Score the pressed down center with a knife. Poke a few holes in the center with fork or knife. This will keep the center from rising too much. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Fill each center with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling. Top with a heaping teaspoon of strawberry filing.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush edges of danish with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.
This post contains affiliate links.