We’ve made it through to the end of another work week. Whether you had a long week or it flew by, I think we could all use some delicious breakfast pastries for our weekends! Weekends are the time for relaxed mornings and breakfast food that we don’t get to eat during the week, and this weekend is for strawberry filled cinnamon twists!
These cinnamon pastries will brighten any morning with their sweet strawberry filling and cream cheese drizzle. Strawberries are boiled down with a bit of sugar and nutmeg to create the perfect filling for soft, tender cinnamon twists. And since cinnamon twists need cream cheese, a light glaze is drizzled over the top.
Don’t let the longer list of instructions scare you away. The actual process isn’t that hard and the results are well worth the work! The actual shaping of the twists is simple, too. All you have to do is take each of your dough ropes and give it a twist. (The dough will lengthen as you twist it.) Then you’ll take the twist and form it into a spiral. You’ll then press down the center of each spiral. This will give you the well that you need to put the strawberry filling in. Just spoon in the filling and bake. Your house will soon be filled with the warm scents of cinnamon and strawberry. The hardest part is waiting for them to come out of the oven! Happy Friday!
- 3 C bread flour
- 2½ tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp Red Star Platinum Yeast or instant dry yeast
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 C milk, warmed to 120-130 degrees F
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ C strawberries, chopped
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat together 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add in egg, butter, and milk. Beat until just starting to combine. Add remaining cup flour.
- Replace paddle attachment with dough hook and knead for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and starts to pull away from the edge of the bowl. Dough will be soft and somewhat sticky.
- Transfer to a large bowl that has been greased. Roll dough around bowl to coat. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, prepare strawberry filling. Combine strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until strawberries soften and mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and punch down. Roll out into an approximate 12x10 inch rectangle. Spread dough with softened butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Gently fold dough in half width wise. Cut dough into 12 strips. Twist each strip and shape twist into a ring. Press the dough down in the center to create a well for the filling.
- Place twists on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes or until puffed. You may need to press down the center of the twists again before filling with strawberry filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 while twists are rising.
- Fill centers of twists with strawberry filling. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until twists just start to turn golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
- Stir together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Add up to another tablespoon milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over twists.