These soft, chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Honey Oatmeal Cookies are super easy to make, have a subtle coconut flavor, and are filled with chocolate! Just the way cookies should be!
Apparently, once I realize chocolate hasn’t made an appearance in our house for awhile, one recipe just isn’t enough! While we enjoyed a batch of chocolate chip almond butter bars and all of the chocolate in those bars, I still was in the mood to bake with chocolate!
So, a batch of whole wheat coconut chocolate chip cookies was in order!
Thick, chewy and filled with coconut and chocolate. These oatmeal cookies have disappeared way too quickly at our house! For being a house that doesn’t eat cookies very often, these cookies definitely made it hard to not grab one every time we walked past the container.
The base of the cookies is from my grandma’s chocolate chip honey oatmeal cookies that are some of my favorites. And, some of your favorites, too! Those cookies are one of the most popular cookie recipes on the blog every since they were posted.
I guess it just proves that grandma’s recipes really are best!
I wanted to make a twist to those cookies that made them a little thicker and that added coconut. Chocolate coconut is a combination that I don’t make often enough.
The bits of coconut that stick out from the dough toast while baking and add a bit of crunch and nuttiness that goes perfectly with the oats.
The result is an irresistible cookie that I think does justice to grandma’s recipe!
- ½ C butter, softened
- ½ C honey
- ¼ C brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ C quick oats
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray or line with a baking mat/parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, honey, and brown sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Add in egg and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
- In a bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Drop cookie dough by tablespoon full or cookie scoop onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. Centers will appear slightly under cooked.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container.