Remember the Cinnamon French Toast Latte from Monday? Well, I couldn’t just make that and then have nothing great to eat while sitting and enjoying it! Enter these spice glazed caramel apple scones. Tender, soft, tart and sweet, a perfect fall breakfast to go with a perfect fall drink. After baking with caramel bits with these donuts, I knew I wanted to try them in more baked goods. They were the perfect fit for this caramel apple combination.
I used tart Granny Smith apples to offset the sweetness of the caramel bits and drizzled each scone with a glaze filled with spices from an apple pie. Nothing ordinary about these scones! Plus, they baked up soft and big, like those you would find in a bakery. None of that crumbly, dry scone experience here!
These have plenty of flavor without the glaze, so feel free to leave it off if you are looking to cut some calories. So go make these scones, grab yourself a latte, and enjoy a relaxing fall morning!
Yield: 8 scones
- For the Scones
- 2 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 C 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp non-fat half & half (If you are using all-purpose flour, you don’t need to use this liquid.)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C caramel bits
- 1/2 C chopped apples
- For the Glaze
- 1/2 C confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp non-fat half & half, to reach desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, mix together flour, salt, sugar, sugar substitute, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg, yogurt, half & half, and vanilla. Mix until dough forms a ball. Remove dough from food processor to a well-floured surface. Knead in caramel bits and chopped apples. (Or, if you prefer to not get your hands dirty, remove dough to a bowl and stir in bits and apples.)
- Pat dough into an 8-inch round. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Place pieces onto lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove scones to a wire rack to cool before glazing.
- To make glaze, stir together confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Add 1/2 tablespoon half & half and stir until smooth. Add more half & half as needed.
- Drizzle glaze over the top of cooled scones. Allow glaze to harden before serving.
This recipe is linked with Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Heavenly Treats Sunday, I’m Lovin’ It Friday, Mop It Up Monday, Seasonal Inspiration, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Sweet Treats and Swanky Stuff, Thursday Treasures, Tuesday Talent Show, Weekend Potluck, What’s Shakin’ Link Party.