First of all, I want to apologize for the sporadic posts this past week and a half. My husband and I were able to take a somewhat spontaneous vacation to Florida! It was amazing! Warm and sunny, all the time. 🙂 Much different from the 51 degree house to which we returned! So, now that the bags are unpacked and the loads of laundry washed, I am back to the kitchen. 🙂
This cake is moist, chocolaty, and yes, healthy! Perfect for a dessert or a snack. I have made this cake many times and am constantly switching out the ingredients to work with what I have on hand. Some of those variations are seen in the ingredient list. I like to make the zucchini finely shredded for those who are skeptical about zucchini being in a dessert so that not only can they not taste it, they can’t see it. 🙂
- 1 C sugar substitute
- 2/3-3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C light sour cream, non-fat plain yogurt, or canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 C unbleached all-purpose flour or half whole wheat, half all-purpose
- 1/2 C unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C low-fat buttermilk
- 2 1/4 C shredded zucchini
- mini chocolate chips for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar substitute, sugar, and sour cream on medium speed for one minute. Add eggs, applesauce, and vanilla; beat one minute longer.
- Combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.