Gooey caramel, tart apples, and chewy oatmeal cookie combine to create these irresistible Salted Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookie Bars! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of salted caramel for a delicious fall dessert!
The weather is starting out cool in the mornings before heating up and the air has a bit of briskness to it when the wind blows. That means one thing, time to bake all things fall!
Of course, I started with apples and before long a pan of salted caramel apple oatmeal cookie bars was coming out of my oven. Three of my favorite things combine into cookie bars that are all things fall!
A generous layer of salted caramel and chopped apples is sandwiched between layers of oatmeal cookie. Rich, buttery homemade caramel with a hint of salt. You could probably just stop at the salted caramel, it’s that good.
The oatmeal cookie layers are everything a good oatmeal cookie should be. They are chewy, nutty, sweet, and loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg. The result is an irresistible combination of sweet and salty with soft and chewy!
The warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg not only add a burst of flavor to the bars, but they also make your house smell incredible and thoughts of fall start making their way into your head!
These bars taste great warm or chilled. Of course, we thought the best way to enjoy these bars involved ice cream. Top with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of salted caramel!
I highly recommend making a double batch of the caramel filling so you can have extra for serving with the bars. Put those fall apples to good use, and make a batch of cookie bars!
For the Salted Caramel
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 1/3 Cup half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Cookie Base
- 5 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 3/4 Cup regular/old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the Salted Caramel: In a small saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter, and half & half. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to medium and boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add in milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy.
- In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to cream butter mixture. Beat until well-combined. Stir in 1 1/2 cup oats.
- Press roughly half of mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle apples over crust. Stir remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into caramel. Pour 1/3 cup of caramel over the top.
- Stir remaining 1/4 cup oats into dough and spoon dough over the top of the apple caramel layer.
- Return to oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until topping is light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 hour before cutting into bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.