There’s something about warm weather that inspires people to want to eat healthy and start up that exercise routine again. Whether it’s the thought of the beach or the abundance of fruits and veggies, this time of year seems to promote healthy living.
If you’ve read this blog for very long (or follow along on Instagram), you know that my husband and I love running and being active outdoors. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, you can usually find us out for a run together in the evenings. Not only do we try to have a healthy lifestyle that involves regular exercise, we also strive to eat healthy on a regular basis.
Sure, we have “unhealthy” food sometimes, but we try to make healthy eating a habit. While we aren’t vegetarians, my husband and I usually end up eating a meatless meal at least once a week. Now with MorningStar Farms, it’s even easier to swap in a meatless meal more regularly since their burgers and patties are all a good source of protein.
MorningStar Farms has over 30 products, and you can find over 600 recipes on their site for inspiration on how to enjoy their food. You don’t just have to eat them as patties or burgers. If you’re worried about the same flavors getting old, that isn’t a concern with MorningStar Farms!
They are always creating new flavors and products. Some of their newest include the Roasted Garlic & Quinoa Burger, Buffalo Chik Patty, Parmesan Garlic Wings, Mediterranean Chickpea Pizza, and Baja Black Bean Pizza! No boring flavors here!
(Be sure to read to the bottom of the post where you can enter for your chance to win a $100 Visa gift card so you can try out some MorningStar Farms products for yourself!)
We recently tried the Roasted Garlic & Quinoa Burgers, the Buffalo Chik Patties, and, because we’d never had MorningStar Farms products before, the Original Veggie Sausage patties. Honestly, we were skeptical before taking the first bites, but were surprised by the great flavor these foods had. T
he burgers and patties were loaded with great taste that can make you forget that you aren’t eating meat. We especially liked the Original Veggie Sausage. They tasted just like sausage, just without the extra grease (which I didn’t miss at all!).
Since we enjoyed it so much, I decided the sausage would be a great addition to one of our favorite breakfast casseroles without ruining flavor and nutrition.
I was a little worried about the texture of the sausage changing when it was baked, but the breakfast casserole baked up perfectly. It was moist, cheesy, and flavorful without any strange textures.
We now have another great healthy option to add to our menu!
- 1 (8 oz) package MorningStar Farms Original Sausage Patties
- 12 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 C tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 C onion, chopped
- 1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 C shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, add frozen veggie patties (you will use 6 patties). Turn heat to medium and cook covered for 8-10 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking time to get even browning. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite size pieces.
- Whisk together eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Stir in cookied veggie sausage, spinach, bell pepper, tomato, onion, and 3/4 cup mozzarella.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Be sure to check out the MorningStar Farms website for more information on products and recipes! MorningStar Farms wants to make it easier for you to eat smart by giving away a $100 Visa gift card to one (1) lucky reader!
To enter: Leave a comment on this post telling me what MorningStar Farms product you would like to try.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 7/7-8/10/2014.
Be sure to visit the MorningStar Farms brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!