There’s just something cozy about a chilly evening, a fleece blanket, and a big mug of hot chocolate (and, if I had a fireplace, a crackling fire!). While I like the packets of hot chocolate for the convenience, I really like homemade hot chocolate made with milk and real melted chocolate.
Because I don’t always want to go through the extra steps of making it homemade, these hot chocolate pods are perfect for a last minute urge for a mug of hot chocolate!
With only 3 ingredients, they take hardly any time to make. Plus, when you do take the time to make them, you get a big batch.
I made a couple of different sizes of pods. One size is perfect for an individual cup of hot chocolate and the other size is great for sharing a cup of hot chocolate with a friend.
And when you do want a cup of hot chocolate, all you have to do is stir a pod into a cup of hot milk. It’s that easy.
These hot chocolate pods also make great hostess gifts, teacher gifts, or just a little something extra for a friend.
Top them with marshmallows, sprinkles, peppermint candy, or whatever else you have on hand and you have a festive treat to match the season!
- 21 ounces or about 3 1/2 Cups chopped chocolate (I used a combination of semi-sweet and dark chocolate. I wouldn't recommend all milk chocolate as it may get too sweet) - **Generic chocolate chips will not work for this recipe. Make sure to use a high quality baking chocolate or chocolate chip.**
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 Cup half & half or heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, optional
- marshmallow bits or mini marshmallows
- Place chopped chocolate in a large heat-safe bowl. Line mini muffin tin or regular muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and half & half over medium heat. Stir constantly to avoid scalding. When mixture just starts to boil, remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour mixture over chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into cupcake liners filling mini liners to the top and regular liners about 3/4 full. Top with marshmallows. Press down gently.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before transporting. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- To prepare hot chocolate: For an individual pod, bring 8 ounces of milk just to a boil. Stir in pod until dissolved. Serve. For a double pod, bring 16 ounces of milk just to a boil. Stir in pod until dissolved and serve.
This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home.