With the different weather around here lately, I’m not sure if I should be eating ice cream or sipping hot chocolate! We’ve gone from mid-80’s to low-30’s in just a couple of days.
This ice cream was made on one of these 80 degree days. It was hot!
My husband and I went for a run, and I don’t think my body knew how to handle running in hot weather. I was so thirsty and wanted something cold to eat.
I knew that it was time to break out the ice cream maker and use up some fresh strawberries that were sitting in the fridge.
I wanted to keep the flavor light and refreshing and finally settled on using honey as the sweetener and adding a hint of ginger.
I knew I had achieved my goal when the first words out of my husband’s mouth when tasting the ice cream were, “This is refreshing!”
The strawberries are boiled down with the honey and ginger to create a sauce that acts as the base of the ice cream when mixed with milk.
If you want chunks of strawberries in your ice cream, make sure to not stir too hard when the mixture is boiling. I
f you prefer a smooth ice cream, boil the strawberries a little longer and stir more frequently to puree the strawberries.
Either way, the ice cream is full of strawberry flavor with a light sweetness from the honey, making it a great warm weather treat!
Now excuse me while I go wrap up in a blanket and sip some hot chocolate while watching the snow fall in this winter weather advisory!
- 2 Cups strawberries, diced
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 Cups whole milk (can use skim or 2%, but the ice cream won't be as creamy)
- In a medium saucepan, mix together strawberries, honey, ginger, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until strawberries soften and sauce thickens. Remove from heat to cool for 20 minutes. Pour sauce into a freezer safe container and place container in freezer for 45 minutes to cool completely.
- Stir vanilla and milk into strawberry sauce. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve immediately. Store in freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.