This recipe for soft, pillowy Frosted Eggnog Cookies is filled with cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggnog! Topping them off is a sweet eggnog buttercream packing these festive cookies with eggnog flavor!
I’m not a huge fan of drinking eggnog plain, but I love baking with it.
The flavor of eggnog pairs so well with the warm, cozy spices of the season.
So, the next time I found myself with a container of eggnog, it wasn’t long before these Frosted Eggnog Cookies appeared in our kitchen!
Soft, thick cookies topped with a rich, creamy buttercream that quickly found a place on the “Make Again” list!
The base of the cookie is filled with the warmth of cinnamon and nutmeg that brings out the flavor of the eggnog, making the traditional holiday drink the main flavor in these cookies.
To make them even more delicious, we topped them off with a rich eggnog buttercream and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
A soft, pillowy texture combined with a sweet, creamy buttercream make these eggnog cookies simply irresistible!
How to Make Frosted Eggnog Cookies
Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
In a large bowl, whisk together your all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
Add in the egg and vanilla extract, and beat until creamy and mixture lightens in color.
Slowly beat in the eggnog. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and beat until just combined.
Drop by a Tablespoon full onto your prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches between cookies.
If you find that your dough is too soft, stick in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes before scooping onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until bottoms just start to turn golden brown.
The centers may appear underdone but will set as the cookies cool.
Try not to over-bake them, so that they stay nice and soft.
Carefully transfer to a paper towel covered surface. Allow to cool.
While cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting. Beat together the confectioner’s sugar, butter, 1 Tablespoon eggnog, and nutmeg until smooth.
Add additional eggnog, as needed, to reach desired spreading consistency.
Spread frosting over the top of the cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Tips for Success
- Bake the cookie just until the bottoms start to turn golden brown. This will keep them soft and tender.
- These cookies taste even better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to blend. This is perfect for being able to make a batch the day before your party or gathering.
- You can leave off the frosting if you want to cut back on some sugar, and the cookies will still have good eggnog flavor.
Love baking with eggnog? More eggnog recipes to try!
For the Cookies
- 2 1/4 Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup eggnog
For the Frosting
- 2 Cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 Cup butter, softened
- 2-3 Tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg + additional nutmeg for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with an electric hand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy. Carefully beat in eggnog.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and beat until just combined.
- Drop by Tablespoon full onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until bottoms just start to turn golden brown. Centers may appear slightly underdone but will set as the cookies cool.
- Carefully transfer cookies to a paper towel covered surface. Allow to cool.
- Prepare frosting while cookies are cooling. Beat together confectioner's sugar, butter, 1 Tablespoon eggnog and nutmeg until smooth. Add additional eggnog, as needed, to reach desired spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies and sprinkle with nutmeg. Enjoy!
- Store remaining cookies in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 90mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. Nutrition values can vary greatly based on brand used. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.