My husband asked for cucumber tomato salad the other day. I replied, with a “Hmm, I don’t think I’ve ever had that before.” His response was one of disbelief that I hadn’t had this salad.
While I’ve heard of it before, I can’t remember ever having it. After a quick Google search, I discovered that there are dozens of ways to a make a cucumber tomato salad. Apparently, I’ve been missing out all these years!
Use mayo, use dill, use different vinegars. Cheese, no cheese. The possibilities seemed endless. I decided to do a combination of a handful of them to come up with a salad that would be full of flavors that we loved and that I could make without making a special trip to the grocery store for any of the ingredients!
Cucumbers and tomatoes remain the main focus of the dish in my easy cucumber tomato salad, however, I decided to add bell peppers, onion, feta and cilantro to the mix.
All of the vibrant, colorful vegetables and herbs combine to create a dish that is full of fresh flavor. The dressing is a simple combination of olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Since no mayo is used, it’s the perfect salad to bring to a summer gathering and not have to worry about it going bad.
Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make, so you can quick whip it together whenever you need a side dish. I have to say that cucumber tomato salad has now found its way into my menu rotation!
- 4 C cucumbers, sliced
- 2 C tomatoes, chopped
- 1 C bell peppers, chopped (I used a combination of yellow and red peppers)
- ¼-1/2 C onion, chopped (Use more or less depending on preference)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste, start at ⅛ tsp each
- ½ C feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ C fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, peppers, and onion.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper until combine. Drizzle on top of veggies and gently toss veggies to coat.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Toss with feta cheese and cilantro right before serving. Serve cold.
- Store in the refrigerator.