Happy first day of spring! Excuse me while I go find another blanket to wrap up in. . . Despite the fact that it is currently 16 and snowing outside, I am excited that today is the first day of spring.
At least we are one day closer to the the sun shining and the warm weather arriving! So, while I wait, I continue filling my kitchen with “springy” foods and pastels!
Carrot cake is a popular dessert around Easter, so why not enjoy it in donut form this year?
A lot like the carrot cake muffins from last week, these are a lot healthier than your average slice of carrot cake.
Whole wheat flour and significantly less butter and sugar make these donuts a great way to enjoy your favorite flavors in the morning for breakfast.
Top off the donuts with rich, creamy cream cheese frosting and it really does taste like you ate a piece of carrot cake!
As an added bonus, they are super easy to make. Easy enough to whip up for an Easter brunch without causing added stress.
Make the frosting ahead of time and you can breeze through the preparation!
For the Donuts
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour (can use all-purpose flour)
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 Cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
For the Frosting
- 4 ounces 1/3 of the fat cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- *If you are a big frosting lover, you may want to double this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in shredded carrots.
- Pour batter into a pastry bag or a ziploc bag with a corner cut off. Fill donut cavity about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow donuts to cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While donuts are cooling, start preparing the frosting.
- Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting over the top of cooled donuts. Best served the same day.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerators.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.