This Butternut Black Bean Pasta Skillet is warm, hearty comfort food that’s on the lighter side. Filled with lean protein, you can feel good serving it up for a great meatless option!
*Post and recipe from 09/30/13. Images updated 09/29/17.
I have found my new favorite type of squash. I used to love buttercup squash and basically used just that in my cooking and baking. I had butternut before and really didn’t like it. That, and let’s face it, it’s not the easiest squash to peel and cut up!
It must have been a bad squash, because after roasting a butternut squash for this pasta skillet, I’m hooked. I could have eaten all of it plain if it weren’t for the fact that I needed to add it to this dish! Though, you can solve that problem by roasting a little extra so you can snitch some while making the recipe!
The olive oil, pepper, and nutmeg magically make butternut squash addicting when roasted for 20 minutes. A slight crispy edge appears, and the natural sweetness from the squash becomes prominent. It’s good.
And in this pasta skillet, it’s the main flavor that I can’t get enough of. Even my husband who usually prefers to have some kind of meat in his meal, liked this meal!
Throw in a jalapeño for a little heat (Trust me, it works). Toss it with pasta, black beans, and parsley. Top it with a bit more cheese (because cheese is always good!). Sprinkle with even more parsley, and serve.
The result is a meatless meal that will make you forget that there isn’t meat present!
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ C + 2tbsp bunch of parsley, chopped, divided
- ¼ C onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1½ C chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 C black beans
- 1½ C shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Add squash and drizzle with 1 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Toss until squash is coated. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until just starting to turn brown and tender.
- While squash is roasting, prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Also while squash is roasting, add remaining olive oil to a large skillet heating over medium-high heat. Add half of parsley, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until garlic and onion just start to brown.
- Add in chicken stock. Quickly whisk in cornstarch and ginger. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add in black beans and 1 cup mozzarella. Cook for another 5-7 minutes or until beans are warm and cheese melts.
- Stir in squash, pasta, and remaining parsley. Sprinkle with remaining cheese right before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
This recipe is adapted from Rachael Ray.