This Brown Butter Apple Yogurt Snack Cake recipe is made with white whole wheat flour and maple syrup! All of the spices of apple pie combine with nutty brown butter to create a new fall favorite!
*Recipe and text from 09/26/12. Images updated 08/29/17.
Perfect for using up those fresh, fall apples, this snack cake is loaded with flavor from apples and spices without being loaded with fat and sugar. In fact, this cake is made with pure maple syrup, white whole wheat flour, and yogurt. That means you can eat it for breakfast, snack, and dessert!
Okay, so there is some butter. Brown butter, that is. Slightly nutty and a great addition to just about any baked good. This cake is no exception! All of the spices that you expect to find in an apple pie combine with chopped apples and brown butter to create a new fall favorite.
The texture is more like that of a quick bread, and the moisture from the yogurt makes it easy to eat with minimal crumbs. Perfect for rushing out the door on busy mornings!
Or, if you prefer a more leisurely way of eating it, trying heating it up and putting a dollop of homemade whipped cream on it!
Either way, this cake has fall written all over it, and your house will be filled with the most amazing smells while it bakes! The nuttiness from the brown butter, the sweetness of the apples, and all of the spices. . .way better than a candle!
- ⅓ C butter
- 1½ C white whole wheat flour (all-purpose works, as well)
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- ½ C maple syrup
- ½ C plain or vanilla yogurt
- ¼ C milk of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ C chopped apples
- ½ C confectioner's sugar
- ½ - 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Continue cooking until butter turns light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and ginger.
- In a large bowl, whisk together maple syrup, yogurt, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir in dry ingredients to wet ingredients just until combined. Stir in cooled brown butter until well combined. Gently stir in chopped apples.
- Spread batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until just starting to turn light golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Stir together all ingredients for glaze until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow glaze to set and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.