It’s officially spring! While it didn’t exactly feel like spring on the first day of the season, or really any days after, the hope of warmer temperatures and lots of sunshine has me wanting to bake with all of the fresh, spring flavors. So many great recipes start floating around this time of year that are bright and flavorful. With many people gearing up for springtime occasions, I thought I would give you a little help with a quick and easy recipe for strawberry lemon poppyseed donuts made with fresh strawberries and fresh lemon juice!
Not only are the donuts quick and easy to make, but they also get some help from C&H® Sugar. To help with our spring baking and cooking, C&H® Sugar has come out with a couple of neat new products. (The C&H® Brand is regional but they have a “sister brand,” Domino® Sugar, with the same products available in the Eastern half of the U.S.) You can now get C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar and C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar! If you’re like me, you tend to make a bit of mess when you’re baking away in the kitchen. Even when you’re careful, it doesn’t take much to end up with a counter full of flour and sugar.
Well, with the new C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar you don’t have to worry about getting sugar all over, because it’s a free-flowing sugar that comes in an attractive and easy-to-use dispenser with a recloseable flip-top lid. You can just pour out the brown sugar into your measuring cup. No need for packing it, because it measures cup for cup the same as regular brown sugar. The sleek container is great for sprinkling over fruit or on top of your morning oatmeal and can sit out on your kitchen table or counter without taking up a lot of room.
The other nice thing about the pourable brown sugar? It doesn’t clump! No more dried, hard brown sugar! So, while you’re making these donuts, you don’t have to worry about coming to your brown sugar only to find out that it’s a hardened lump or spilling sugar onto the counter while you’re packing it into the measuring cup.
But back to the donuts. Strawberry lemon poppyseed may be my new favorite donut flavor. Chunks of fresh, sweet strawberries offset the tart, tangy lemon and turn an ordinary vanilla donut into something special! Since strawberry buttercream is one of my favorites, I used my favorite recipe and added in some lemon juice. After spreading on a generous amount, a bit of lemon zest is sprinkled on top. The result is a sweet springtime breakfast!
If you’re serving these donuts with coffee or tea, be sure to set out some C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar. It has finer sugar crystals than those found in traditional granulated sugar, allowing it to rapidly blend when sweetening hot or cold beverages. Just leave the container out on the counter and your sweetener never has to be far from reach! Prepare your drink just the way you like it, grab a couple of donuts, and sit down to enjoy the fresh start of spring!
Check out C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar and C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar for yourself at a retailer near you and save some money! Just visit the C&H® Sugar website, or it’s sister brand, Domino® Sugar, and grab a coupon!
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ C C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar
- ¼ C C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ¾ C milk
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ C strawberries, finely chopped
- 2 C confectioner's sugar
- ⅔ C chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- fresh lemon zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, poppy seeds, sugars, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, lemon juice, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off, pipe batter into prepared pan. Fill about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together confectioner's sugar, strawberries, and butter. Add in 1 teaspoon lemon juice and beat until creamy. If needed add up to another teaspoon lemon juice.
- Spread frosting over the top of donut. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Serve. Best eaten same day.
C&H® Sugar and BlogHer want to give away a $100 Visa Gift Card to one (1) lucky reader! What’s your favorite way to use brown sugar? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 VISA gift card.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including a disclosure that your Tweet is a sweepstakes entry and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.