I like sweet potato in any form and am always looking for new recipes and flavor combinations. I actually stumbled upon this recipe due to a lack of planning. . .oops! These were supposed to be dinner rolls, but I ran out of time to have them done for dinner! With some slight adjustments, biscuits became plan B. 🙂
These biscuits add a hint of spice to the plain sweet potato flavor with garlic powder and pepper. With little preparation and time to bake, you can have fresh bread on your table to brighten any meal!
Spiced Up Sweet Potato Biscuits Pin It
Yield: 12 biscuits
- 3 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C nonfat buttermilk, warm
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- For the Glaze
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp butter spread
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix well.
- Mash sweet potato with olive oil in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add buttermilk to dry ingredients. Spoon in the mashed sweet potato. Stir with spoon or fold in with hands until a ball of dough forms. If dough is too sticky, add more flour.
- Place ball of dough on a floured surface. Knead by hand and press out dough with fingers.
- Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut out biscuits and transfer to parchment paper or greased cookie sheet.
- Warm the maple syrup and butter spread in microwave and stir together until well combined.
- Brush a light glaze onto each biscuit. If you have leftovers, they work well as a dipping sauce. 🙂
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits start to turn brown.
- Allow at least 5 minutes to cool before serving.
- Store biscuits in an airtight container.