Do these french baguettes look familiar? I hope so! They were accompanying the crock pot chicken corn chowder from Monday and today you can find out how to make them! First, I have to make a confession. I have never made french baguettes. . .Yes, they are in the picture. No, I did not make them.
My husband made them. In fact, he always makes them. He does such a good job at it that I’ve never even thought about trying. Why mess with a good thing?! (Especially a good thing like homemade bread!)
I love homemade bread of any kind and always eat way to much of it when it first comes out of the oven. These french baguettes were no exception!
The outside is crusty and chewy while the inside is perfectly soft. (See, my husband makes them the best!) These baguettes are the perfect side to not only corn chowder, but also pasta, salads, and well, just about anything!
- 2½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 C warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- ½ tbsp water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, and yeast. Add water and knead with a dough hook for 5-7 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Cover bowl with towel and allow dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle dough evenly with salt and knead with dough hook until salt is well incorporated.
- Cover with towel and set in a warm place until dough is doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into a 16x12 inch rectangle. Cut dough in half to create two 8x12 inch rectangles. Starting with the 12 inch side, roll each rectangle up tightly. Flatten out air bubbles as you go and taper off the ends.
- Place dough on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat or lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make diagonal slashed across the tops of the loaves. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375. Mix together egg white and water in a small bowl. Brush over the tops of loaves.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com.
*This post contains affiliate links.*