I’ve been on a bit of a pear kick lately. It may have something to do with the fact that the last time we were at Costco I picked up a giant bag of them. . .but they have been so good! Since we can’t eat all of them plain before they would go bad, I’ve been baking them into all kinds of baked goods. I was in the process of making cinnamon yogurt quick bread the other day when I looked over and saw the basket of pears (the very full basket of pears!) sitting on the counter. Suddenly cinnamon yogurt quick bread became cinnamon pear yogurt quick bread.
It was a good decision. The chopped pears added a burst of sweet, fresh fruit in each bite. Combined with the warmth of cinnamon and ginger, this bread is loaded with flavor. But if that wasn’t enough, I topped the bread with a buttery, brown sugar crumble. I just couldn’t resist. Crumble toppings are always a good idea! Trust me.
Cut yourself a thick slice for breakfast, a mid-morning snack, or to hold you over until dinner! Whatever your plans are for the weekend, make sure to set aside a few minutes to quick whip up this cinnamon pear yogurt bread. Happy Friday!
- 1¼ C whole wheat flour
- 1¼ C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 C plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive/canola oil
- ⅓ C honey
- ¼ C non-fat milk
- ¾ C chopped fresh pears
- ⅓ C all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, honey, and milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in chopped pears.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter until clumps form. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.