So, how do you feel about soft, warm, chocolate chip cookies?? How about that flavor in bar form? Because that is exactly what these bars taste like! Since not everyone is a chocolate lover in my family, I needed to make something that they could enjoy while everyone else was enjoying the chocolate wacky cake for my mom’s birthday.
My dad requested that I try making a chocolate chip cookie bar that he remembered having growing up. (No pressure there trying to duplicate your grandma’s recipe!) We had a partial recipe from my grandma, but some things were left up to interpretation. After some guessing, and looking through other recipes, this was the end result! A thick, soft, chocolaty cookie bar.
These are great alone (right from the oven!) or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! Have a great weekend everyone! 🙂
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 C oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13 cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, beat together sugars and eggs until creamy. Add in oil, vanilla, salt, cream of tartar, and dissolved baking soda. Beat until combined. Gradually add in flour scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary until well-combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.
- Press dough in pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top turns light golden brown. Do not over bake.
- Remove pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes before cutting into bars.
This recipe is linked with Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Heavenly Treats, Martha Mondays, Mop It Up Mondays, Sweet Treats and Swanky Stuff, Tastetastic Thursday, Thursday’s Treasures, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Weekend Potluck, What’s In The Gunny Sack.