Summer unofficially starts this weekend. The days are getting longer and the temps are getting warmer. That is so hard to believe.
I have no idea where time has gone. But since we finally have warm weather and more daylight to enjoy it in, we need to take advantage of it!
I don’t want to be spending all of my time in the kitchen. Summer foods to me are all about quick, easy meals that are either grilled or require no oven.
This tortellini with spinach and lemon cream sauce is just that kind of meal and will be finding its way to our table many times this summer I’m sure.
It really is quite simple. Just start with some pre-made cheese tortellini and add in some fresh spinach and lemon juice and zest.
Cheese tortellini has become a freezer staple for us. They are so easy to quick whip up. Plus, they are filling and usually produce leftovers for lunches the next day.
Just pick up a pack on your next trip to the grocery store, and they’ll be ready and waiting for this meal when you’re in a time crunch!
This meal takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish and has bright, fresh flavors. A simple creamy sauce of whole milk, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest is sprinkled with salt and pepper and left to simmer until thick.
All you have to do is stir in the spinach and cooked tortellini at the end until spinach is wilted and tortellini is heated through.
Serve it up, and go enjoy those lazy summer evenings!
- 12 oz refrigerated or frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ C whole milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ C fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2½ C baby spinach
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Stir in a teaspoon of olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in minced garlic and cook until garlic just starts to brown.
- Whisk in milk and flour. Quick whisk in lemon juice. (It's important to do this quickly to prevent the milk from curdling.) Bring to a simmer, but avoid bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat and stir in lemon zest, salt and pepper. Stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cooked tortellini and cook until spinach is wilted and tortellini is heated through.
- Serve with additional lemon zest.