If I were to have planned ahead to celebrate National Peach Month on the first day, this would have been a great recipe to have planned! Juicy peaches, sweet strawberries, and creamy frozen yogurt. . .yep, this one’s a keeper!
This recipe actually came about as a result of some disappointing peaches that I purchased the end of last week. They were plenty juicy but lacked flavor. 🙁 Since, it’s still blazing hot out, I didn’t want to turn the oven on to make pie, bars, etc. So, the only logical conclusion, at least in my mind, was to make frozen yogurt with them.
- 1 C strawberries, diced
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 1/2 C non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 C 2% milk
- 3 peaches, skinned, diced, and chilled
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar, optional (My peaches weren’t very sweet so I needed to add a little sugar. You may not need it.)
- Stir together strawberries and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until strawberries start to soften and sauce thickens. Remove from heat to cool for 20 minutes. After letting it cool, pour into a freezer-safe container and place in freezer for 45 minutes to cool completely.
- While strawberry sauce is cooling in freezer, start to make yogurt base. In a medium bowl, stir together peaches, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until pureed. On low speed, beat in yogurt and milk until combined.
- Pour base into your ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes or until soft set. Remove yogurt base to a freezer safe container. Spoon strawberry sauce over the top. Gently swirl sauce to distribute throughout. Place yogurt in freezer and allow to finish freezing, about 1 1/2 hours.