Happy August! Now that National Ice Cream month is over, I thought I would post another frozen yogurt recipe. Yeah, I know, I’m on top of things! However, I was informed that August is National Peach Month, so let’s pretend that I was actually planning ahead and wanted to celebrate right away with a peach recipe! 😉
If I were to have planned ahead to celebrate National Peach Month on the first day, this would have been a great recipe to have planned! Juicy peaches, sweet strawberries, and creamy frozen yogurt. . .yep, this one’s a keeper!
This recipe actually came about as a result of some disappointing peaches that I purchased the end of last week. They were plenty juicy but lacked flavor. 🙁 Since, it’s still blazing hot out, I didn’t want to turn the oven on to make pie, bars, etc. So, the only logical conclusion, at least in my mind, was to make frozen yogurt with them.
Throw in some ginger to help bring out the peach flavor, add a touch of sweetness with a strawberry swirl made from a honey-strawberry sauce, and you have one flavor-loaded summertime treat! So start celebrating National Peach Month right away with this frozen yogurt!
*I had to add a little sugar to the base because of my poor quality peaches, but if you have sweet peaches, you probably won’t need the extra sugar.
Strawberry Swirled Ginger-Peach Frozen Yogurt
Yield: about 1 quart
- 1 C strawberries, diced
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 1/2 C non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 C 2% milk
- 3 peaches, skinned, diced, and chilled
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar, optional (My peaches weren’t very sweet so I needed to add a little sugar. You may not need it.)
- Stir together strawberries and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until strawberries start to soften and sauce thickens. Remove from heat to cool for 20 minutes. After letting it cool, pour into a freezer-safe container and place in freezer for 45 minutes to cool completely.
- While strawberry sauce is cooling in freezer, start to make yogurt base. In a medium bowl, stir together peaches, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until pureed. On low speed, beat in yogurt and milk until combined.
- Pour base into your ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes or until soft set. Remove yogurt base to a freezer safe container. Spoon strawberry sauce over the top. Gently swirl sauce to distribute throughout. Place yogurt in freezer and allow to finish freezing, about 1 1/2 hours.
This recipe is linked to Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Creative Thursday, Fit and Fabulous Friday, Kitchen Fun Friday, Pin It Thursday, Seasonal Inspiration, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Thursday Food Fest, Totally Tasty Tuesday, and Weekend Potluck.
Thursday 9th of August 2012
I want a big bowl of this right now!!! Thank you for sharing at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!
Michelles Tasty Creations
Wednesday 8th of August 2012
Looks delish! Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Amber @ The Cook's Sister
Wednesday 8th of August 2012
Stopping by from Crazy Tuesday!
What a fantastic frozen yogurt! I love the combination of strawberry, ginger. and peach flavours! Yum!
Slice of Southern
Monday 6th of August 2012
This looks delishhh! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Southern Sundays. My linky party is going on now. Hope to see you there! www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com
Sweet Bella Roos
Friday 3rd of August 2012
Yum! These would make super cute little triffles too! Thanks for linking up at Pin It Thursday!