*Post originally from 08/14/13. Images updated 08/30/16.
Some days call for a good cookie. Those days that call for cookies might be anything from kids heading off to their first day of school to realizing that you haven’t had a cookie in a couple of months. Yes, that is what I realized the other day. It just didn’t seem right to go longer than 2 1/2 months without eating a cookie.
Since I had gone so long without eating a cookie, I didn’t want just any cookie. It had to be a “good” cookie. These M&M peanut butter oatmeal cookies have all of the most important components of a good cookie. They are chewy, full of peanut butter, nutty from the oats, and contain just the right amount of chocolate.
Oh, and they are big. Big cookies are so much more fun to eat than little cookies! So, whether you need to send a little something special with your kids for their first day of school or if you just need a good cookie, these M&M peanut butter oatmeal cookies are your perfect go-to option.
- ⅓ C butter, softened
- ¾ C no-stir natural peanut butter
- ½ C brown sugar
- ½ C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C white whole wheat flour
- ½ C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 C quick oats
- 1 C M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Cream together butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
- Stir in oats and M&M's.
- Drop by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet. If you want large cookies, drop by ¼ cup full.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges just start to turn light golden brown. Do not overbake.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 3 minutes before removing cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.