There never seem to be too many quick and easy meals to have on hand for a busy weeknight. I am always looking for recipes that either have very little prep work involved, or have prep work that can be done ahead of time in order to make dinner go as quickly and smoothly as possible. Sometimes I find myself in a rut preparing the same dishes over and over again, especially when it comes to chicken. If you are the same way, here is an easy chicken meal that can get you out of this rut!
This dish is filled with flavor from the pepper, oranges, onions, and seasonings, with a hint of honey to tie together the sweet and spicy aspects. The chicken then finishes cooking in the same broth that the vegetables and fruit were cooked in making the chicken juicy and flavorful. You can cut up the vegetables and fruit the night before or that morning, if you want to save yourself a little time.
Serve the chicken over a bed of brown rice and you have a hearty meal that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. Plus, this dish can easily be doubled to give you leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1½ lbs chicken, cut into strips
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ C onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large or 1 small oranges cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1¼ C reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 C cooked brown rice
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with paprika, cayenne, and white pepper. Add chicken, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Cook chicken until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Stir in the orange slices and pepper strips. Cook until oranges are brown on the edges and red peppers are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add honey and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring broth mixture to a boil.
- When mixture reaches a boil, place the chicken back in the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread rice in the bottom of a 2½ quart dish. Top with chicken mixture. Spoon the broth over the top. Serve.