Yesterday I drove up to my parents to spend some time doing a little Christmas baking and candy making with my mom. Each year we make a bunch of candies and other goodies to give out to friends and family. While we have the yearly favorites, I like trying out a few new recipes each year to switch things up a bit.
This year as I was thinking about what we should make, I knew that I wanted to add a salty sweet treat to the mix. Of course, it had to be easy, and I wanted something that could be made ahead of time. I gave these peanut butter chocolate pretzel bites a trial run before going up, and they are a perfect one bite treat to fit that criteria.
The richness of the peanut butter base is offset by the sweetness of the chocolate topping and the pretzels add texture and make the bites have that addicting salty sweet combination. No baking is required and they can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator (or your garage if you live in the North!). While this recipe is only for an 8×8 baking dish, it can easily be doubled to make a large batch to feed all of your friends and family!
- 1 C creamy peanut butter, divided
- ⅓ C butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ C confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ C brown sugar
- 2 C crushed small pretzel twists, divided
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with an electric mixer, beat together ¾ C peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract until creamy. Add in confectioner’s sugar and brown sugar. Slowly beat sugars into peanut butter until well-combined. Add 1½ cup pretzels and beat to combine.
- Press mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt together chocolate chips and remaining ¼ cup peanut butter. Stir until smooth. Pour over the top and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of crushed pretzels. Press down lightly.
- Refrigerate for at 3 hours before cutting into bars and serving.