I must admit, I was a little skeptical going into making this. The thought of cabbage mixed in with my mashed potatoes didn’t sound the greatest. I really wanted to try it, though. (My skepticism turned into intrigue, I guess!) I read through many different recipes and realized that just about everybody has their own way of making colcannon. I decided to use the ingredients that showed up the most frequently in order to try mine. The result? Mashed potatoes loaded with flavor and a skeptic turned believer. 🙂
|Yes, potatoes and cabbage do taste good together!|
- 4 Russet potatoes, about 2 1/2 lbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 C green cabbage, shredded
- 1 C non-fat milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- chopped chives, optional
- Peel potatoes and cut into pieces. Place in a large pot and add cold water until potatoes are covered at least an inch. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Cover to keep warm.
- In a small saute pan, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook until onion just starts to turn brown.
- In another saucepan, add cabbage, milk, salt, pepper, and browned onions. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage mixture to potatoes. Add butter and mash everything together. Sprinkle with chives and serve warm.