Recently, OXO and Eastern Fish Company (a member of the NFI Shrimp Council) challenged a group of bloggers to find new ways to enjoy shrimp and work with it in ways that we may not have before. To help us with this challenge, we were sent a package of OXO tools and 5 pounds of shrimp! The Eastern Fish Company is one of the world’s largest importers and marketers of shrimp, sourcing products from Canada and Alaska. The shrimp we received was un-peeled, vein-in shrimp and is chemical-free and wild-caught.
As soon as it arrived, my mind started running with all kinds of ideas. I finally settled on these fun chipotle shrimp bowls with cilantro lime cream sauce.
To thaw the shrimp, I took advantage of this 3 piece bowl and colander set. I placed the colander in the bowl, filled it halfway with cold water, and placed the shrimp inside to thaw. When the time came to remove the shrimp, all I had to do was take the colander out and place it on the lid to trap the lasting drips. No sticking your hands in the freezing cold water or trying to fish the shrimp out with a spoon!
Since we usually buy our shrimp deveined, I was a little wary of how great the OXO Good Grips Shrimp Cleaner would work. I was surprised at how easy it was. All you have to do is insert the ridged cleaner into the end of the shrimp to split the shell and remove the vein in one motion! For a video of this process, check out this one by OXO. Now you don’t have to be intimidated by the little extra work required with vein-in shrimp!
These flexible kitchen & herb snips worked well for cutting up the cilantro and this wooden lemon reamer was just what I needed to get out all the lime juice for the different components of the recipe. Ever worry that your tongs can’t handle the heat of slipping into the hot pan? Well, you don’t have to worry about that with these tongs with silicone heads that are heat resistant to 600° F! They worked perfectly when searing the shrimp. (Be sure to check out the giveaway below for a chance to win a set of these same tools!)
Spicy chipotle peppers make up the marinade for the shrimp and provide the heat for these shrimp bowls. Cilantro lime brown rice provides the base for these bowls and a mixture of black beans, corn, and red onion add flavor and heartiness. A cool, creamy cilantro lime sauce takes the edge off the heat and ties all of the flavors together into one delicious bowl!
- 3 C water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ C long grain brown rice
- ½ C cilantro, chopped
- lime juice from ½ of a lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (7 oz) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 C black beans (If using canned, rinse and drain before use)
- 1 C frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ C red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 C sour cream
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Bring water, salt, and rice to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-heat and simmer for 45 minutes until tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and stir in cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Place entire can of chipotle peppers with sauce and garlic cloves in food processor. Pulse until pureed. Pour mixture over shrimp and stir to coat. Cover, place in refrigerator, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat saucepan over medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil. Place shrimp in pan (depending on the size of your pan, you may need to do this in two batches.) Sear for 2 minutes. Turn shrimp over and sear for another minute or until shrimp is opaque in center and pink on the outside.
- Stir together black beans, corn, onion, and olive oil. If you want the mixture to be warm. Place mixture in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Place sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice in food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Assemble by dividing rice between bowls. Top with veggies. Place shrimp on top. Drizzle with cream sauce. Serve.
Want a chance to try all of the tools for yourself? Just enter the widget below for you chance to win a prize pack worth $180:
- Shrimp Cleaner
- Flexible Kitchen & Herb Snips
- Silicone Steamer
- Wooden Lemon Reamer
- 3 Piece Bowl and Colander Set
- 12″ Tongs with Silicone Heads
- $100 Visa Gift Card from the NFI Shrimp Council
Giveaway runs from Monday, March 24th at 8am CST to Friday, March 28th at 4pm CST.
Make sure to check out the other amazing recipes from these bloggers!
A Kitchen Addiction
A Zesty Bite
Coconut and Lime
Created by Diane
Foxes Love Lemons
Garnish with Lemon
Growing up Gabel
Home Cooking Memories
Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Julie’s Eats and Treats
Lemons for Lulu
My Man’s Belly
Peanut Butter and Peppers
Peas and Crayons
Sarah’s Cucina Bella
So How’s It Taste?
Taste Love and Nourish
That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Disclaimer: I received product to help with recipe development. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.