I hope you all had a good Valentine’s Day filled with making fun memories with friends and family! How many of you were feeling a little sluggish this morning due to the sugar overload yesterday?? Well, here is a snack that will keep you going strong throughout the day.
Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- 2 C rolled oats
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 1/4 C flax seed
- 1 C whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 C all natural peanut butter (we prefer chunky!)
- 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- milk or water, if needed to moisten
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 baking pan
- Mix together the oats, wheat germ, flax seed, flour, brown sugar, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in the honey, egg, and peanut butter. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
- If the batter is still very dry and it is hard to incorporate all of the ingredients together, add milk or water, a tablespoon at a time until ingredients are completely mixed together. (The dryness of the batter has a lot to do with the moisture content of the peanut butter you are using.)
- Stir in chocolate chips, optional.
- Bake in 350 oven for 20-30 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes and then cut bars.
- Let bars cool completely and store in an airtight container.