I don’t know about where you live, but strawberries have been on sale a lot around here. This makes me happy because I love strawberries.
As a result, we’ve been eating a lot of them! Normally we end up eating all of them plain, because we both like fresh strawberries.
However, the last package I bought was four pounds, so I was able to sneak some into these strawberry cream filled lemon muffins before they were all eaten!
Sweet, juicy strawberries are the perfect filling for these light lemon muffins.
The strawberries are mixed with cream cheese and a bit of confectioner’s sugar to make each bit of these muffins a sweet combination of strawberry and lemon.
The actual muffin is lightened up with yogurt and filled with fresh lemon juice and zest.
If you are looking for a new snack or breakfast to add to your menu, these muffins are the perfect springtime addition!
For the Muffins
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 Cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 4 ounces 1/3 of the fat cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 Cup strawberries, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, butter, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Beat together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and strawberries until strawberries are pureed.
- Spoon a tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Top with one teaspoon filling. Cover filling with one more tablespoon batter. Repeat until batter and filling are gone.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops just start to turn golden brown.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g
The muffin base is adapted from Taste of Home