Happy National Pancake Day!! This day makes me excited, because I will take any opportunity to eat breakfast food at a meal other than breakfast! 🙂 Want to take part? What better way to celebrate than to make a pancake that is both fun to eat and fun to look at! Use the fruit that you and your family like best and decorate it together. Then take a peek during the baking process and watch it puff!
Spiced Puffed Pancake with Fresh Berries and Lemon Yogurt Sauce Pin It
Yield: 2-4 servings
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/2 C fat-free milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 C nonfat plain yogurt
- 2-4tbsp honey depending on desired sweetness
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 C fresh fruit
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Pour the flour mixture over the egg mixture and whisk until no large dry spots remain. Do not over mix. The batter will be lumpy.
- Place the butter in a 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Place pie plate in oven for 4-6 minutes or until butter is melted and bubbly.
- Take out plate and pour batter into it. It is okay if the batter isn’t perfectly even.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sides get tall and and puffy.
- While pancake is baking, mix together the yogurt, honey, and lemon juice in a small bowl for the sauce.
- As soon as the pancake is out of the oven, dab the excess butter out of the center with a paper towel and pour sauce into the center. Decorate with fruit.
- Try to serve the pancake as quickly as possible as the sides begin to fall as it cools.