My husband’s birthday was on Monday. When I asked him what he wanted for a dessert, his only request was something with caramel and pretzels.
I love that sweet and salty combination and immediately thought of a cheesecake. He liked that idea and I started thinking up different flavor variations.
Of course, the first cheesecake that I thought up contained chocolate. We all know that chocolate, caramel, and pretzels is a great combination!
However, since my husband isn’t a fan of chocolate, I figured I would make a dessert without chocolate in it. . . it was his birthday after all. 😉
Despite not having chocolate, the combination of creamy cheesecake and crunchy pretzels combines to make one highly addictive dessert!
The crust is a combination of pretzels and graham crackers that is topped with a rich layer of salted caramel.
The vanilla cheesecake layer evens out the richness of the caramel and is perfect with a drizzling of more salted caramel right before serving!
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 C crushed pretzels
- 3/4 C crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 C butter, melted
For the Caramel
- 1/3 C butter
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C half and half
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Cheesecake
- 2 (8 oz) packages 1/3 of the fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, crushed pretzels, sugar, salt, and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and half and half. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium and cook for 7-8 minutes until mixture thickens. Stir in salt one minute before finished cooking. Make sure to whisk occasionally to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- While caramel is cooling, prepare cheesecake. In the bowl of a stand mixture, beat together cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Spread all but 1/4 cup of caramel over the top of cooled crust. Spread cream cheese mixture over top. Even top with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until center is set. Transfer to wire rack and bring to room temperature. Move cheesecake to refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel right before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.