With the end of summer approaching, I know many of you are thinking about sending kids back to school. Today while shopping at Target I felt like the only person not looking for school supplies.
Growing up in Minnesota we always started school after Labor Day, so it still seems strange to me to see kids heading back to school so soon. (But going into June always made up for our late start!)
Along with school supplies, it’s important to have healthy snacks to power kids (and yourself) through the day. Enter these peanut butter banana chip granola bars.
Sweetened with honey, these granola bars have no other added sugar if you use unsweetened banana chips. Between the honey and banana flavor the bars don’t need it.
Oats, wheat bran and flaxseed make up the base of the bars and load them with nutrients. Natural peanut butter and a bit of vanilla round out the flavor.
Since they’re healthy and portable, they make a great breakfast or snack to pack in your kids’ or yours lunches. They’re also a no bake, so you don’t have to take the time to preheat the oven and bake them.
Just mix, press into the pan, and refrigerate. I wish I would have had these when I was in college, they would have been perfect for packing in my bag to have on hand to get through those long block classes!
- 2¼ C regular or instant oats
- ¼ C wheat or oat bran
- ¼ C ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ C honey
- ¼ C no-stir natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C dried banana chips, broken into pieces
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the edge of the dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, wheat bran, flaxseed, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat together honey, peanut butter, and vanilla extract until peanut butter is melted, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour over oat mixture and stir until coated. Stir in banana chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Press firmly into the bottom of dish. (If you do not press firmly, bars will fall apart later.)
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars. Store in an airtight container.