It’s Mother’s Day this weekend! Do you have your menus planned? Or have you hinted yet to your husbands what you want to eat?
If you’re still looking for an idea, here is an easy cake that only takes about an hour from the time you start to the time you are slicing pieces to eat! If you want, you can even make it up ahead of time and serve it room temperature. It tastes great both ways.
I won’t be able to see my mom on Mother’s Day, but she likes lemon desserts and fresh strawberries. So, I thought I would make this fresh strawberry lemon yogurt cake for her!
The cake is filled with lots of fresh, sweet strawberries and tangy lemon juice and topped with a light streusel that also has hints of lemon in it.
Yogurt keeps this cake on the lighter side and also prevents it from drying out right away like some cakes. The light lemon flavor blends with the sweet strawberries to create a slightly tangy, slightly sweet cake that is perfect for enjoying for breakfast, brunch, snack, or any time of day!
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ C butter, softened
- ⅔ C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 C non-fat milk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 C diced strawberries
- ¼ C butter, melted
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ⅓ C sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy. Slowly beat in yogurt, milk, and lemon juice until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Stir in lemon zest and strawberries.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Stir together all ingredients for streusel. Sprinkle over the top of batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into pieces.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.