Ever since making peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal scones, I have been thinking up all kinds of possible variations to oatmeal scones. One of the most recent variations was this cinnamon chip scone.
I love oatmeal cookies. One of the reasons that I love them is that they are usually full of cinnamon, and I love cinnamon.
So, it only seemed natural that I would try to make an oatmeal scone full of cinnamon!
These cinnamon chip oatmeal scones taste like big, soft cookies that are full of oats, cinnamon, and cinnamon chips (the more the better!). The oats give the scones a slight chewiness that is different from the traditional flaky scone.
However, the chewiness goes well with the nuttiness from the oats and is the perfect base for all of the cinnamon.
And, since they’re scones, you can eat them for breakfast!
I recommend eating them with a big glass of cold milk or a mug of hot tea when you just need to sit and unwind.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup quick oats
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 3/4 Cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 Cup cinnamon chips
- raw/coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk. Add wet ingredients to crumb mixture. Gently stir until just combined. Stir in cinnamon chips.
- Turn dough out onto prepared cookie sheet. Pat into 8 inch round. Cut into 8 pieces and separate slightly so that pieces are not touching. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until scones just start to turn golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Allow scones to cool for 5 minutes before re-slicing the scones to separate (if needed).
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.