Right up there with chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and coconut is one of my favorite combinations. I love granola, cookies, bars, pies, etc. that have chocolate and coconut in them!
I’ve made almond joy granola bars, but I wanted something slightly more decadent this time.
Enter rich, fudgy brownies stuffed with sweet coconut and crunchy almonds!
These brownies are a modification of this recipe for skinny brownies (perfect for when you have a chocolate craving but you don’t want to load up on calories at the same time!).
I added a little melted butter to up the fudgy/gooey factor. The middle is filled with coconut, fat-free sweetened condensed milk, and chopped almonds.
The classic flavors of an almond joy candy bar!
Notes: These brownies are easiest to cut after they have been chilled. If you don’t have patience, you can cut them warm, but they will be slightly gooey. Also, they are easiest to cut with a plastic knife.
But, really, all you need to do is grab a fork and dig in!
For the Brownies
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 Cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons non-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 2 Cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 Cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 Cup coarsely chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x9 or 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugars, melted butter, yogurt, and milk. Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until well-combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Spread half of brownie batter into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling until well-mixed. Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the brownie batter and gently spread with a spatula. Spread remaining brownie batter over the top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until set and toothpick insert into the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator and allowing the brownies to cool another 30 minutes. Cut into bars.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and may not always be accurate. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.