It’s Wednesday already, and the sun is shining brightly! And on top of that, I got to have one of these scones for breakfast! 😉 Strawberries are some of my favorite fruit, and I am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into new, delicious recipes. These scones didn’t let me down. They have a flaky crust while remaining tender throughout the inside. The sweetness of the strawberries pairs perfectly with the tartness of the lemon making these a tasty treat!
|Look at all of those strawberry pieces! 🙂|
|If you want a sugar coating on the crust, brush with water and sprinkle with sugar before baking.|
|Drizzling the glaze while still warm allows for some of it to soak into the scone and give it more flavor!|
Fresh Strawberry Scones with Lemon-Strawberry Glaze
Scones adapted from: Munchkin Munchies
Yield: 8 scones
- For the Scones
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar substitute, such as Splenda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 C butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 C fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 C non-fat milk
- sugar for coating, optional
- For the Glaze
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium-sized strawberry, cut into pieces
- 1/2 C confectioner’s sugar (This will result in a thin glaze, if you prefer a thicker glaze, add sugar until you reach desired consistency.)
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry fork or blender, cut in the butter until it turns into course crumbs. Gently stir in strawberries and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until well combined. Pour egg mixture over flour mixture. Gently stir until just moistened.
- Place dough on floured surface. Knead dough gently about seven times until it forms a shaggy ball. Pat dough into a round about 1-inch thick. Cut into eight pieces. Place pieces onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Optional: Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until just starting to turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Add strawberry and beat with a hand mixer until strawberry is pureed. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes to allow glaze to thicken.
- Drizzle on scones after they have cooled for 5-10 minutes.